Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Babysitters

Real Gil has two days off next week, and I am determined that we are going out on a date. Only one thing is missing: a babysitter.

This got me to thinking, where did that terrible word "babysitter" come from? Do we pay cute young teenagers to come into our house and literally sit on our babies? Does it refer to the possibility that the hired help sits (with a remote control) while the baby runs amuck? Or does it mean that the baby sits obediently and quietly for the lovely temporary mama? Anyway you look at it, it doesn't make me want to pay $10 an hour for one. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure this post is not going to help my odds of finding one by next week.

Anyways, I'm nothing if not a researcher...well, an internet researcher at least. I checked Wikipedia and found that the title "babysit" might stem from egg-laying animals that must sit on their baby eggs to incubate them. Not very comforting to me. Another idea is that the term "babysit" originated from (and I quote directly from Wikipedia) the action of the caretaker "sitting on" the baby in one room, while the parents were entertaining or busy in another. Hmm...perhaps I'm a bit slow on this one, but that doesn't help me.

I've given up on figuring this out. BUT I am not giving up on a babysitter. If you would like to come to my house and tend to, care for, and play with my very healthy children in a very cleaned, disinfected home, Real Gil and I would love to hire you. We do not want you to sit on eggs, sit on our children, or walk around yelling, "Baby, sit!" If you can meet these requirements and Punkin, Sugs, and the Little Man don't scare you away (or their weird mother), you're for hire.

Picture me with my thumb at my ear and my pinky on my lips stage whispering, "Call me."

Resting,
Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to have them over here if you promise not to bring cooties. K (I won't promise that they won't be sat on)

Unknown said...

I would be there in a heartbeat to care for your kiddos! Makes me miss the "old days" in Nashville. Good luck on finding some help!

Anonymous said...


Hel-LO Divorce CEO Erin Levine the way to speak with the children and discusses her inspiration supporting Hi Divorce, tips for break-ups.
https://divorceronline.com/colorado/divorce-process-in-colorado/