Monday, April 12, 2010

Another First

Raising a boy has certainly been eye-opening this week. Not surprising, of course, considering how often the oddities of boyhood leave me aghast.

I have learned to change the Little Man's diaper standing up. I know this is nothing earth-shattering, many moms do it. But I don't know of another mom who does it for this reason: if I lay the little guy down and change his diaper, the kid actually lifts his foot and pulls down on the neckline of my shirt. Oh yes, he does. I didn't know this started at age two!

And just yesterday, I rounded the corner of Little Man's room with a diaper and clothes, intending to dress my naked two-year old. He was standing in the middle of his bedroom, his tummy jutted out like a proud first-time expectant mother. He was spinning awkwardly, twisting like he was trying to put his head over his shoulder. I asked him, "What are you doing?" And he answered, "Finding my bottom." And he's been doing it ever since. Like a dog who finally realizes his tail is attached to his backside, my son has discovered that there are members of his body that exist even if he can't see them. Monumental moment, I say, for an egocentric toddler.

Now, if only we can convince him to channel his newest discovery towards the big boy toilet.

Until then, Resting,
Karen

No comments: