Saturday, July 31, 2010

Garlic Goodwill

I never knew how much I loved garlic...until I stopped buying it out of a jar. My first attempts at fresh garlic were not without mishap, especially when I thought the whole head of garlic was a clove of garlic.

Well, I've come a long ways. Call me Miss Domestic.

I still won't peel the stuff, it takes too long.

But there is this great product at Costco called Fresh Garlic...Peeled.

Beautiful stuff there.

So, because I don't really need two pounds of fresh garlic, I have stolen my mother-in-law's recipe for roasted garlic and I now roast those handy-dandy, pre-peeled garlic cloves. Then, I share the garlic goodwill with others. Like this Friday, when we went to visit some dear friends after a week of camping...

Inevitably, we were dirty.


So, I planned ahead and came bearing gifts...hoping they would let us in the door.

They did.

I'm pretty sure it's because I brought the garlic. Or because we're so utterly charming that the grime was hardly noticeable...um...it was the garlic.

Here's the easy steps:

Open up that bulk-sized bag of garlic and spread it out on a cookie sheet or low roasting pan.

Pour some olive oil over the top (about 1/2 a cup, or more) and toss to coat.



Roast the garlic at 325 for about 30 - 40 minutes, stirring every ten minutes or so.



Let the garlic cool a bit. It should look like this when you are done.



Then throw it in your food processor and let your two-year old push ON.

Package the garlic in cuter packaging than mine and throw it in your refrigerator until you feel that garlic-goodwill-feeling. It will keep for approximately four months.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Super idea! I can't manage without garlic!

Have a terrific Monday!

KJ
SoCal