Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Kid Music That I Pick

Have you heard of Andrew Peterson?

We are not a family of savvy music expertise, but we know good kids' music when we hear it. And my children have been singing his music all week long.

Here's their favorite:

Slugs & Bugs - God Made Me from Scott Brignac on Vimeo.

My favorite part about this music: it is right on doctrinally. After searching for music that said anything other than "we are all sinners" and "obey, obey, obey!" it was so refreshing to hear that "God sent His Son, His only Son, to fill me up and make me new...Now I listen very carefully because He lives inside of me, that could be gross but it's not 'cuz it's Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior!"

Instead of telling my children to "do better," I can just remind them that they can't do any better in and of themselves. But why would they try apart from Him who lives inside of them? My children (and yours) can be free from this "Christian rat race" of performance and behavior. Instead, they get to just rest in Him who will be faithful to complete the good work in them and through them as they simply abide, rest, trust. Is it ever too early to teach them this truth?

I rejoice in this good news!

And good music too.

Now, Andrew Peterson, you don't know me, but if you want to give me lots of free stuff for promoting your music, I'm happy to receive them.

In the meantime, we're rocking (in a folksy sorta way) around here.

And resting too.

Karen

No comments: